Hugh Hilton, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer
Hugh Hilton is a Founding Partner of A&M CapRE. He is a member of the firm’s Board and sits on its Investment Committee. As an A&M veteran, with a rare combination of corporate turnaround and restructuring, commercial real estate restructuring, and private equity real estate investment and asset management experiences, Mr. Hilton brings a unique perspective to the firm.
Prior to joining A&M in 1992, Mr. Hilton enjoyed a 15+ year career in real estate working primarily in a principal capacity on behalf of public and private U.S.-based pension funds and international investors. During this period, Mr. Hilton served in a number of senior executive roles, including: CEO of Trinity Pacific Real Estate Services; President of Karsten Institutional Realty Advisors (a subsidiary of First Interstate Bancorp); and Senior Vice President of Acquisitions for BankAmerica Investment Real Estate. Mr. Hilton began his real estate career in Associate positions at Jones, Lang, Wooton (now JLL) and Coopers and Lybrand National Real Estate Group (now part of PWC).
- In total, Mr. Hilton has worked as a principal or in a key advisory role on over 50 real estate transactions with an aggregate value in excess of $5.5 billion;
- Mr. Hilton has been involved with office, industrial, retail, multi-family, hospitality, mixed-use, master-planned communities and golf courses, including single assets and portfolios of assets, in various stages of completion, sell-through, or lease-up.
Since joining A&M in 1992, Mr. Hilton has been involved in 28 corporate restructuring, turnaround and performance engagements at a wide variety of public and private middle-market companies – both in and out-of court – on behalf of debtor, creditor and private equity clients. Twelve of those engagements required Mr. Hilton to fill interim senior management roles, including Chairman, CEO, President, and/or Chief Restructuring Officer. Mr. Hilton’s corporate restructuring experience spans real estate, hospitality, entertainment, gaming, mass merchandising and specialty retail, healthcare, manufacturing, and technology industry sectors. Selected restructuring engagements involving significant real estate components include:
- Chief Restructuring Officer for a $3.4 billion portfolio of multi-family, low-income housing communities;
- Lead Advisor to the secured bank group on the $1.4 billion restructuring of a major Las Vegas resort and casino;
- Director of Real Estate for a 300+ store chain of discount drugstores;
- CEO of a national restaurant holding company with over 160 units; and
- Interim CEO of a 2000+ room hotel and casino in Reno, Nevada.
Mr. Hilton received a BBA in business administration (with high distinction; James B. Angell Scholar) and an MBA (with distinction, Beta Gamma Sigma) – both from the University of Michigan. He holds a Juris Doctor from the University of Colorado, with a concentration in real property law. He is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), Counselors of Real Estate (CRE) and the Colorado Bar Association.